1/16/2006

Moving Sucks. And So Do Several Other Things.

Holy Hell, why do we do this to ourselves?

Let's begin at the beginning.

The tenure of my girlfriend Tanya and myself at 666 Spadina Ave #709 (The Building Of The Beast) was unduly economical; we sublet from a former co-worker of hers, Dr. Daniel Chan. $950 sounds like a lot of rent, but it's downtown, and it's in the best neighbourhood ever. EVER.
But the lease ended. Gordana, our friendly Slavic landlady, said that if we wanted to stay, it would cost us $1250! One and a quarter thousand dollars for a measly little apartment! Ho ho, we said, ho ho, we will search the Renters News and procure a new dwelling, which shall leave our arms and legs intact, and shall be greater than our previous dwelling! So we looked. And found several nice buildings for around the $950 mark. But they were midtown. Like St. Clair, even Eglinton. Which is nice, but Tanya works at Bay and Queen, and I work in friggin'* Etobicoke. So we nixed that idea. Nixed it right over the head. So, having narrowed our search to downtown, we found that the cheapest apartment that wasn't actually being shot at while we were looking at it were around $1250. Like the one we were in.
But nay! Nay, we cried! There must be a deal! There's always a deal! And there was! There was a nice apartment in a nice building at 201 Sherbourne, three blocks east of the Eaton Centre, nice and close to St. Lawrence market.... perfect! We even saw a nice, new freshly painted apartment. And then we saw the one that we were going to live in. Not pristine; it was still full of people. But we were promised unequivocably that it would be clean when we got there.
Okay. No problem.
So we get there.
Or rather, Tanya gets there. I was at work. We hired a moving company to do the heavy lifting (always hire a moving company. I've done it both ways now, and the moving company way is way better).
So now I get a phone call from Tanya, saying, "Chuck, I can't live here. It's too dirty. Come here, and buy a disposable camera on the way."

Holy fuck. How dirty can this place be?

It was actually dirtier. I've said several times since then that this was the filthiest room I've ever been in that was not in active use as a barn. And the bugs. Oh, the bugs. Remember the TVshow 'Animaniacs'? Joel does. At one point, a character known as 'Wakko' is forced to use a gas station washroom. When he opens the door, bugs skitter everywhere, and are gone in less than a second.

This place was kind of like that.

So. We talk to the old apartment, and they say that our place is rented, but we can have a slightly smaller one for $1200. We turn to the movers and say, 'Okay, boyos, pack it all up; it's all going back.' We tell the new building to insert their apartment rectally. and hopefully we'll get our deposit back.

So what else?

Giftmas was good. I got some wicked books, the R30 DVD... oh, I got a kit to build a tube amp, which should be fun... I got some tools, and X-Men Legends 2, which is righteous. And I actually made it to TWO Christmas dinners, neither of which I expected to fit into my TTC Schedule.

More later, I guess.





*fuckin'

2 Comments:

Blogger Lydia said...

I'm very impressed with the animaniacs illustration. I've definitely seen that one.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Junk in the Trunk said...

Hmmm, good times. Yeah man I remember Animaniacs. I actually found an episode on Limewire after looking for like a month. I also downloaded a bunch of the "Good idea/bad idea" shorts from that show. Now if only I can find some more Eek the Cats episodes . . .

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home